Backup without cloud

More
9 years 3 months ago #5357 by jaduff
Backup without cloud was created by jaduff
Hi, I'm a new user to iDoceo, and certainly finding it better than the previous app I had.

Regarding backups, I am not permitted (by local state law) to store any information regarding students or any other records outside of my state (Western Australia).
Is there a way to backup data without using any of the cloud services? Sync to iTunes, or copy to a network share would both suffice.

Thanks.

--James

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #5360 by bert
Replied by bert on topic Backup without cloud
Welcome James,
The WebDAV backup option will let you store those files in a local server at school. Do you have any WebDAV server available?

As a possible alternative, you can always connect your iPad to a Mac/PC and backup your data but the WebDAV connection is meant for that and will work wirelessly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jaduff

More
9 years 3 months ago #5363 by jaduff
Replied by jaduff on topic Backup without cloud
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I don't have a webdav server I can use. Though I am currently investigating setting up one on my MacBook.

Where you say I can connect my iPad to my mac, are you referring to the standard iTunes backup process with the iPad? If that works and is reliable, it would be amply adequate for my needs, wifi is not required.

Thanks.

-James

More
9 years 3 months ago #5366 by bert
Replied by bert on topic Backup without cloud
Yes, the standard iTunes backup is what I meant, that will work.

Installing a WebDAV server in your MacBook is a fairly complex task in current OS X.

It requires some tweaking on the Apache server configuration files and if you are working on a laptop that may be connected to public networks at some point I would not recommend it.

More
9 years 2 months ago #5393 by jaduff
Replied by jaduff on topic Backup without cloud
Ok thanks bert, I'll leave it with the iTunes backup.