Icon Counting - Selected Columns

More
9 years 9 months ago #4691 by Shaw
Icon Counting - Selected Columns was created by Shaw
Firstly, can I say what a great discovery this app has been, especially since the 3.1 update.

My question is, and apologies if I've missed this somewhere obvious, is it possible for the 'Icon Counting' function to only apply to certain columns (like the average calculation?) I want to count 'missed' or 'late' homeworks but be able to restart counting every half term / reporting period, and thus only count the columns relevant to that half term.

Any help / guidance would be hugely appreciated! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #4692 by bert
Replied by bert on topic Icon Counting - Selected Columns
Welcome Shaw,
I'm afraid it isn't possible to do that with the icon counter yet.

Since counting icons usually involves lots of columns, we tried to add with this particular counter a configuration-less calculation that would automatically take into account all the columns in the same page thus avoiding the cumbersome task of having to reconfigure it each time.

In order to overcome this limitation, I'd suggest creating a new tab for each half term/reporting period and adding a new icon counter to each tab.

I've just thought of an additional alternative that doesn't need those new tabs but is a bit more complex, I'll post in the next message

PS: When we initially created the icon counter, we thought of adding an option to 'count columns to the left' or 'count columns to the right' but since we try to make each calculation as simple as possible, we left it to rest.

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #4693 by bert
Replied by bert on topic Icon Counting - Selected Columns
Ok here it is. I hope it doesn't look too scary!
Creating a new tab is a easier but I understand you may want to keep all in one.

Find below the step-by-step. In short, the idea is to consolidate the counter at one point in time and show the result as
icons from second half = current icons - icons from first half

We'll begin with this sample data, first half term. An icon counter at the end, showing the number of star icons.
Now we want to restart the counter, we'll copy the icon counter column in order to keep the 'current number of stars' (Tap&hold on the counter and Copy)
It will look like this
Our final step, adding a 'Calculation - addition' column that takes into account our original counter minus the new 'consolidated' column.
The configuration would look like this And in the final image, a simple test, we add new columns to the right and our second half counter shows the right number icons.
The original 'icon counter' and 'consolidated column' are hidden in the image to avoid further confusion (tap&hold on the header > Hide)

Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by bert. Reason: Improved sample images

More
9 years 9 months ago #4694 by Shaw
Replied by Shaw on topic Icon Counting - Selected Columns
Bert - thanks a lot for this, I'll give it a go. I really appreciate you finding a non tabbed way too, and it's not too complicated. It looks like it'll hopefully do the job I need.

Do you think a specified range for icon counting might be something for a future release?