Grade book icons

More
11 years 1 week ago - 11 years 1 week ago #2938 by Asl.pirate
Replied by Asl.pirate on topic Grade book icons
When I do that this is what shows up. See attachment. I think I did something wrong in the initial setup can you go back and tell me just the part about how it set up the type of grade again. I tried to look at the earlier post but got confused. Should I reset my icons?
Last edit: 11 years 1 week ago by bert. Reason: Privacy. Removing images

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 week ago #2939 by bert
Replied by bert on topic Grade book icons
Ok , what you see is the Icon Editor. This means that in that specific column you have chosen 'Icons' as the editor and thus shows automatically upon a double tap.
Despite the configured editor for a column , you can always edit its content with a tap&hold on that cell and then Text/Icons

A column has two properties, its editor , and its grade type. They are independent from each other. The editor only affects how you edit a cell's content and the Grade type how the content is calculated (the value assigned to each icon , for example).

You have about 15 editors to choose from simply to edit as fast as possible the content of your gradebook. The most versatile is Text/Icons

So, I'm guessing that the grade type you created is properly configured already , meaning that you assigned the values you need to each icon. You can check its configuration from the main chalkboard screen/GradeTypes and here select the grade type you wish to edit.

The Icon editor in the image is simply missing some icons, but if you double tap on the cell to bring that editor on screen , like in your attached image , and then click on 'Configure Icons' you'll be able to enable/disable the icons you wish. As I mentioned, the list of icons in this editor does not affect the calculation you just hide the icons you won't use.

Hope this sheds some light!

More
11 years 1 week ago #2940 by Asl.pirate
I went back to the beginning and set up my grade type

I added participation. Then I set up the values

Then i tapped on icon and set point for each

The next pick shows the editor option which one do I choose? Icons?

And then for grade type I choose my attendance grade don't I? But the when I tap on the student cell this is what I ger

More
11 years 1 week ago #2941 by Asl.pirate
Ok I am determined to get this! I saw this group of students 2 times this week so I configured the initial column for 50 points. I set up the other 2 columns (1 for each day) as grade type participation and editor text with icons. I went to the calculation column and set that up. I selected all 4 column and did add all. All I got we're zeros. What did I do wrong?

Attachments:

More
11 years 1 week ago #2942 by bert
The Threshold value in the grade type must be 0 (instead of 60) , and you should turn off the skip empty cells option.
Let me know if that finally worked out for you!

More
11 years 1 week ago - 11 years 6 days ago #2961 by Asl.pirate
Yes I finally got it and I'm cruising right along now. I set up my participation grade which I use with icons and my dress grade which I use of icons. daily work, testing quizzes are done just straight points. Now I have two more questions for you.

1. How do I take each section grade as you can see by the picture enclosed and combined them to give them one total grade? See how I have different tabs? I need to total them and get a percent and a letter grade if possible

And then also in the copy function what did the symbols mean when it talks about simple copy or linked copy is that related to totaling your great book?

And one more thing actually two more things, Can I give a student in more than the total points allowed in the initial column for example in the address grade we only had two times we dressed this month but some students dressed on a day that wasn't necessary so I said it would give them bonus points for that so if there score ends up being 75 out of 50 can I do that?

And then the last thing, on the page where you take attendance, You can roll the dice to call on students is there a way to set that up with icons where i can say whether or not the student got the answer correct or incorrect so that I can monitor that as well?

Thanks for All your help this is a great app I'm loving it!
Last edit: 11 years 6 days ago by bert.

More
11 years 6 days ago - 11 years 6 days ago #2970 by Asl.pirate
Okay I just went back To my gradebook and was putting in attendance for a class from last week. And when I went to check on the icons that window open but there were no icons to select. So I went back to my grade set up to doublecheck that grade type that I saved at the participation and the icons are still there. But they're not in my grade book how did I loose them what did I do wrong? I thought that if I chose text/icon for the editor and participation for the grade type that it would automatically migrate over the icon values and descriptions. Just to let you know in case it matters, I created another grade type called dress grade and I used different icons with different labels and values. Would that affect my participation columns?
Last edit: 11 years 6 days ago by bert. Reason: Privacy. Removing images

More
11 years 6 days ago - 11 years 6 days ago #2971 by bert
Regarding your first mail:

1. How do I take each section grade as you can see by the picture enclosed and combined them to give them one total grade? See how I have different tabs? I need to total them and get a percent and a letter grade if possible

You should have a calculation that combines the different totals of each week into a single one. Then you should create a new tab , let's call it Totals, which will gather the subtotals from each tab.
For a column to be present in two (or three..) tabs at the same time, you must do a Linked copy.
Tap&hold on the subtotal column of a tab, then Copy , then select 'Totals' as its destination tab , and after that , linked copy
The simple copy takes the value of each cell and copies it to its destination at that moment
The linked copy will represent the same column in the destination tab, but it will keep the data updated if it changes in either the source tab or its destination.

Can I give a student in more than the total points allowed in the initial column

Yes

And then the last thing, on the page where you take attendance, You can roll the dice to call on students is there a way to set that up with icons where i can say whether or not the student got the answer correct or incorrect so that I can monitor that as well?

Yes. From this view you can create columns and edit its content as well. All you have to do is create (or select) the column where you wish to store the result.
Here an image that should help, the first icon is the one you need to use.

Attachments:
Last edit: 11 years 6 days ago by bert.

More
11 years 6 days ago #2972 by bert
Regarding your last e-mail:
I think you're changing the list of enabled/disabled icons in the Icons editor with the 'Configure icons' button.
This configuration is just for your convenience, to remove the icons that you won't use . There are more than 100 icons to choose from but the list of enabled icons should be limited to your daily use icons.
The editors are not related with grade types. You can remove all your icons from the Icon editor and they will still be (along with their values) in the grade type configuration and viceversa.

So, whatever you do with the Icon editor (or any editor), it won't affect your participation columns, your data is completely safe.

That being said, I think you should consider using the Custom editors. It will allow you to select a subset of icons to be used as an editor.
Here some screenshots of how to use its.

More
11 years 5 days ago - 11 years 5 days ago #2973 by Asl.pirate
Ok so I just need clarification on how to do the cumulative totals. I linked the files and they appear in that tab. The totals add together but how do I tell it what full credit is so that I can have the numbers translate to a letter grade? Do I have to set up an initial column like for participation? If so what figure do I put in there since total possible points will change with each entry? Do I set that up in the grade editor?

Attachments:
Last edit: 11 years 5 days ago by Asl.pirate.