Grade book icons

More
11 years 1 week ago #2916 by Asl.pirate
Grade book icons was created by Asl.pirate
Is there a way to attach a point value to a custom icon that can be configured to total at the end of the week? My students earn 25 points a day for being in class on time and doing what they are supposed to be doing. However they loose points for things like talking or having their phones out. It would be helpful to tap on them and have it total up for the week or day.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 week ago #2919 by bert
Replied by bert on topic Grade book icons
Hi Asl.pirate,
You can assign point value to icons and then do the calculation,these are the steps:
- First you must create a grade type in which you assign the require value for each icon you're using . From the main chalkboard screen, Grade Types, New, Numeric value, then Icons.
- Now you should configure this new grade type as the default type for new columns, so you won't need to apply it each time a new columns is created (from the gradebook, settings, new column.
To set this grade type for actual columns, tap on the top bar Tools, then Columns, select columns , edit and set the right grade type.

For the calculation:
- You must have a column with the initial 25 points in it, simply fill the first cell and then tap&hold, copy , copy to column this column can be reused for any other calculation.
- Now tap on the columns you wish to add to the calculation , and then 'Add all'.

Here a screenshot of this configuration. I've just configured the red cross as -1 value.

And here an alternative faster method using the Quick Counter editor. You lose the historic evidence, but if you need it on a daily basis it will be easier to use and configure.

PS: Our next update will include additional calculations to configure the first operation faster.
Attachments:

More
11 years 1 week ago - 11 years 1 week ago #2928 by Asl.pirate
Replied by Asl.pirate on topic Grade book icons
Ok so I went through the steps then got stuck 1/2 way I created the grade standard on my chalk board for 25 pts then I chose the icons in the picture and gave some a negative value and some a positive. I set up the 4 columns in the second picture but I don't understand what you mean by assigning the value to the first column and how to do that. Your second "easier" option I don't understand how to do it or what u mean by losing the icon history. Thanks for your help so far hope I don't have to bother you much more
Last edit: 11 years 1 week ago by bert. Reason: Privacy issues

More
11 years 1 week ago #2929 by bert
Hi there Asl.pirate,
The column I mentioned with 25 pts, was only required if the resulting value if no icons either positive or negative are achieved is 25. I probably misunderstood what you needed. An example would go like this :

No icons, any day, and the result is 25. That is why you need the default value column as the initial value to add/subtract icons from.

The other case, in which you simply add icons and get the final result would not need the default value column and would look like this, result 0 , if no icons are set.

I'm not sure which case applies here, but it is just a matter of adding that 'Default value' column .

Now , the last step you are missing is the Calculation column.
Add a new column , and assign 'Calculation' as its editor, and in Grade type the one you created for the icons.
Double tap on any cell in that new column and you'll be able to configure that calculation.
Tap on the headers of the columns you wish to add to the calculation ,and then tap on the 'Add all' button.
And it should look like this
The easier alternative is just a counter (Editor Quick counter) in which you add/subtract one at a time. But you won't be able to know when you added that value , so I guess it isn't what you need.

If you can't solve it ,don't hesitate to post and I'll gladly elaborate any of the steps a bit further
Attachments:

More
11 years 1 week ago - 11 years 1 week ago #2930 by Asl.pirate
You are right. I do want to give students 25 points each day if there are no icons they get 25 points. I sent with this post a picture of my grade book that shows what it looks like in writing. As you can see they get 25 points each day for being in class and being on task. If they come to class and say they get their phones out without permission they lose 10 points. If they have to go to the bathroom they lose five points. So it the end of the day if they've done what they should they get 25 points. If they haven't I subtract what marks were deducted from the 25 points and they get to keep what was left for the day or for the week . At the end of each week I total 25 points for each day I see them I see than four times a week so that's 100 points a week. so I'm not sure if it would be easier to have it calculate per week or per day

but I still don't understand how to set up that first column with the 25 points so can you help me with that? I was able to assign a point value to each icon I was able to do that part. It's just that first column I don't understand. When u say select the cell and put the 25 in do u mean the first student or the header? can u so me pics of that process? And also can you tell me which would be better to have it tally, once a day or once a week?
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 years 1 week ago by Asl.pirate. Reason: One more question

More
11 years 1 week ago #2933 by Asl.pirate
One other thing when I'm taking attendance in the seating screen if I double tap the student it toggles between present and absent but how do I set it to toggle tardy in the mix?

More
11 years 1 week ago #2934 by bert
Tap&hold on that student and you'll see additional options.
When in doubt, a tap&hold (on a cell,student,header, resource) is usually the answer!

More
11 years 1 week ago #2935 by bert
I'd suggest you to work on a week basis if you can, it will be easier to work with.
The initial value in this case should be 100 then. You create the column called 'Initial value'. Fill the first cell with its value 100 ,tap&hold on it , Copy and Copy to all column
Lets imagine your four days are represented by A,B,C,D , if you configure the calculation to perform A+B+C+D , you'll probably get a negative value if it does not take into account the initial 100 to subtract from . So the operation must go like this 100+A+B+C+D , to obtain the final result
The 'Initial value' column represents the 100 , in that operation.

More
11 years 1 week ago - 11 years 1 week ago #2936 by Asl.pirate
I understand the principle of how to do the calculation. What I cannot seem to understand is how to put the hundred points in the first cell. I created a column labeled it initial value. And as you can see by the pictures when I tap on the first cell, options like copy edits etc. show up where do I go from there?
Last edit: 11 years 1 week ago by bert. Reason: Privacy. Removing images

More
11 years 1 week ago - 11 years 1 week ago #2937 by bert
I see. I meant the first student cell, not the header. Just to edit as you normally would. Either with a double tap , or tap&hold then edit.

Attachments:
Last edit: 11 years 1 week ago by bert.