Idoceo Backup takes very long time

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #4227 by Vitth
Idoceo Backup takes very long time was created by Vitth
Hi to all, Using iDoceo I encountered the following problem :

In the window classes I started to put some items that I thought useful to better manage the gradebook . Since I teach math and science , I thought about putting the policies adopted by all colleagues in the department disciplinary documents are formatted .doc ( few tens of kb). I have also submitted an entry Substitutions to document any substitutions made in case of need the school (hours of recovery, for a fee , etc. . )
So far so good .

But , as we say in Italy , "the appetite comes with eating" and I started to enter , via Dropbox , items such as :

exercises for the Class 1A,
exercises for the Class 2 A,
exercises for the Class 3A,
various programming
projects
Other Documents

and here are the problems arose because it is a variety of documents ( .doc and .pdf .jpg) that occupy many Mb .

Final Result : waiting very long backup in dropbox ( I had to remove the automatic lock system preferences dell'iPad because otherwise the backup is not reached at the end) .

After the backup was done , I thought I'd make invisible items that contained all of these documents ( so they would have consulted them from time to time , only when needed ) , but unfortunately the timing of the backups are always the same , that is very long . I suspect that even invisible files are constantly affected by the backup ( in fact the .zip file generated by the backup dropobox is very large compared to previous backup with the only classes).

Have you encountered this problem as well ? Have you found a solution?
In my iDoceo should take into account that the invisible files should not be more interested in saving your data, or allow the user to selectively choose the backup to be performed.

regards,

Vittorio
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Vitth. Reason: I edited subject to make it more explicative

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #4228 by bert
Replied by bert on topic Idoceo Backup takes very long time
Hi Vitth,
Backups in iDoceo always keep all the files, they have no hidden or cumulative changes.
This basically means that if you have 100 files in iDoceo, they will be in that backup as well.
When it comes to backups we prefer to err on the safe side, a single backup is enough to restore everything.
I'd suggest a couple of things:
- Give Google Drive backups a try. They are a bit faster and you'll have a progress bar.
- iCloud backups on the other side are the fastest of them all. It doesn't have to upload the file at that very same moment.

How much MB are we talking about? did you give a look at the final Dropbox backup?
I'm not sure what you mean with invisible files, would you mind elaborating a bit?

By the way, did you get that new iPad yet? We'll probably remove iPad 1 compatibility in our next major update

More
10 years 3 months ago #4285 by Vitth
Replied by Vitth on topic Idoceo Backup takes very long time
How much MB are we talking about? did you give a look at the final Dropbox backup?

My latest backup is about 31 MB in a .zip file created by iDoceo.

I'm not sure what you mean with invisible files, would you mind elaborating a bit?

In Classes you can hide or make all files viewable ..... Unfortunately hidden files are still affected by the backup.

Did you get that new iPad yet?

The letter that I sent to Lapland during Christmas probably is not arrived at its destination .....
I am looking if there is any chance on Ebay because I can not spend too much money; in the meantime I'm pleased with my iPad 1.....

We'll probably remove iPad 1 compatibility in our next major update

:( I knew it would happen sooner or later. :( :(

But do not worry. Although I will not be a new iPad in the short term, I will continue to support you in Italian translation from English. :)