Importing data to an existing class

More
10 years 7 months ago #3756 by riverer
Importing data to an existing class was created by riverer
I have imported my Yr9 classes by exporting from simms, used the (very cool) face detection and organised them into seating plans, added tabs to track attendance, home work, assessments and data and general book marks. All good!

Now our Simms people at school have updated the data and a load of previously empty cells are filled with information. These cells are in my 'main' tab in the app, but empty.

So.. how do I get that data into my classes without loosing my photos/seating plan/data entered within the app? I'd really not enter it manually.

Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #3757 by riverer
Replied by riverer on topic Importing data to an existing class
Well after playing around its actually fairly easy.

Import the new sheet into the existing class, it gives you a copy of the main tab, delete the old one and keep the new data-filled one.

Seat plans and photos all intact :woohoo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BethJahn

More
10 years 7 months ago #3792 by BethJahn
Replied by BethJahn on topic Importing data to an existing class
Good to know. I've been wondering about this recently. Thanks for posting.

More
10 years 7 months ago #3810 by Brett Huckstep
Replied by Brett Huckstep on topic Importing data to an existing class
This had worked for me before but now when I import to an existing class rather than just importing the new data on an import tab I'm getting duplicates oft he students added as well... Effectively doubling my class sizes, with only the 'doubles' getting the imported data. Anyone got any ideas what I might be doing wrong? I'm selecting the class then choosing import. It worked before...

Cheers,

Brett

More
10 years 7 months ago #3811 by bert
Replied by bert on topic Importing data to an existing class
Hi Brett,
iDoceo will try to match the students from your class, with those of your file in order to decide wether they are already present or not.
If there is some variation between those names (an additional comma maybe), it will create a duplicate.
Instead of selecting a class (with a tap&hold) and then importing, Try to just open the file from Dropbox/Google Drive or mail and then choose to 'Open in' iDoceo. You'll see the 'append data' option right there

More
10 years 7 months ago #3813 by Brett Huckstep
Replied by Brett Huckstep on topic Importing data to an existing class
Hi Bert,

Thanks for this. It seems something strange is going on here... To be sure that the names were exactly the same I exported the sheet in csv format and then reimported after I had added the new data. Same problem occurred with duplicate students.

Is it only the name it compares or will it create a duplicate under any other circumstances?
Eg looking at the @fields. Ultimately I was hoping to. Move to a system of linking to csv files in Dropbox to keep track of ongoing data changes. This duplicate thing has me currently stumped though! I can't seem to trace my error...

More
10 years 7 months ago #3839 by bert
Replied by bert on topic Importing data to an existing class
Hi Brett,
The problem might have to do with that CSV, maybe there is a comma between the name and lastname?
The only field taken into account is the first column's name, no additional fields