Importing Query

More
10 years 10 months ago #3211 by jkevens
Importing Query was created by jkevens
Hi

Regarding importing of classes - I understand that I can open a CSV file and Send to IDoceo and a new class is automatically imported. However, if a class exists and I want to import to it, this only works via DropBox.

Just wondering if it would be possible to avoid having to do the drop box option ? Makes it a bit more confusing for staff amd then they have to create drop box accounts etc etc . Would there be a way around this in a future release ? For example, if you name the file identically to an existing class, when importing by sending to iDoceo could it be made to recognise that the file name is the same as an existing class name and therefore create a tab in the existing class rather than create another new class?
Or failing this, make it possible to copy a tab from one class to one with an identical set of names and actually take the data content with it ? ( At the moment it just copies the column structure ) - i.e. you create a new class temporarily to transfer the tab to your exisitng class

The reason for this is that we basically update data for students 3 times a year and so can export a profile sheet containing all this info and put into iDoceo, but would then want to replace it with the latest set of data when it comes out through the year.

Does this make sense ?

Thanks !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #3212 by bert
Replied by bert on topic Importing Query
Noted. We'll try to add it as an option in this upcoming version.
By default, in all our data related decisions , we tend to give full priority to the current info stored in iDoceo, so as to avoid erasing any data by mistake.

With this options you need, if a user appends some details to a student's personal data, they will be replaced if they import a new file afterwards.
Anyway, I understand your workflow, and it makes perfect sense. Probably a small box asking wether to create a new class, and append or replace data into an existing one won't hurt in here.
I'll see what I can do about it.

Regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: jkevens

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.