Countdown timers in Planner...

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #30784 by pauhana658
Countdown timers in Planner... was created by pauhana658
I've scoured the web and cannot find an app that does this: set up a series of countdown timers for the day's tasks.  As the lesson progresses, the teacher selects the next task from the list to start the timer. Lots of countdown timers in the app store, but none do this. 

Ideally, I'd be able to do this right in the Planner section of idoceo, where I already have detailed lesson plans. If I could simply assign a countdown timer to each item in the lesson plan, and then select/start/stop the timers from a floating-pallet list of tasks.... 

A simpler approach would be to have a floating pallet with a dropdown menu of times. Teachers could add to the list. There are apps that do this (not easily), but it would be nicer (and easier) to have this function integrated into idoceo.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I discovered the Timedrop timer last month. Intriguing features, but if I leave the page, then return, the timer is no longer there. As a result, I cannot use it for the above purpose. Be nice to have it on a persistent floating pallet.
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by pauhana658.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 month ago #30785 by bert
Replied by bert on topic Countdown timers in Planner...
Hello  pauhana658 .,
 Have you tried the Timer 1 and Timer 2 as a widget in the Summary? 
 It keeps the timing even if you switch classes

Attachments:

More
1 year 1 month ago #30819 by pauhana658
Replied by pauhana658 on topic Countdown timers in Planner...
Yes, I did try it, but the timer stopped when I left the Summary page and then came back. A bug? Or is there something I missed in setting up the widget?

More
2 months 1 week ago #31224 by cdbevard@gmail.com
Replied by cdbevard@gmail.com on topic Countdown timers in Planner...
I’ve found this to be the case as well, and the same is true of using the chronograph gradebook column. Whenever you change tabs or classes, it cuts out and you have to restart. 

I’ve found it’s best to plan ahead such that anything for which you’d need a chrono result you’re focusing on completely: ie, no multitasking. That, and I’m not sure the chronus is designed for toggling back and forth between tabs/other classes. 

You might consider investing in an app called multi timer. I’ve found this serves a pretty useful function in the stepped interval timer. With that tool you can set a variety of intervals of regular or varying lengths. For instance, you might dedicate 5 minutes to completing the daily startup/attendance rituals for your class, another ten minutes for direct instruction, and another 20 minutes for the independent practice. This is pretty variable and flexible, and with a little bit of forethought, it works like a charm. 

Since you’re already invested in the iPad environment, this may represent only a minor interruption in your workflow. 

I like to have a variety of options, and multi timer lets you create a web link so you can share the timer with anyone who has the link. I’ve got two shortcuts in action - one for the desktop and the other for the iPad. Depending on where I’m presenting from, it will open the necessary apps I need for the class, and one of them is always a web version of the timer for the day. I prefer to share the web version when broadcasting because you can trigger it remotely from an Apple Watch, iPhone, or the iPad. If you find your daily workflows are pretty consistent, give this a try. It can be a real boon for keeping to the calendar. 
Attachments: