Outcome summaries

More
1 year 7 months ago #10618 by grhafer30
Outcome summaries was created by grhafer30
I am new to iDoceo, but I'm dedicating a week to understanding the application so I don't have to learn it during the upcoming school year!

One thing I'm unclear about is how Outcomes work within iDoceo. For instance, I would like an Assessments tab with all the summary assessments appearing: Outcomes is an important one, a summary of each of my ten Outcomes for the course. I created them using Multiple Columns > Outcomes - Calculation and then selected all ten Outcomes; however, only one column shows up. (No, it's not collapsed, but is as a single item in a folder. I'm assuming it's an average of all ten Outcomes.) Then I tried adding Multiple Columns > Outcomes - Columns and incorporated all within one folder (see file images 1 and 2.)

Even though I have individual column assessments set up in the gradebook main view (summary tab) for particular assignments, the scores I've entered don't average in their particular outcomes-calculation column within the assessments tab. Yes, I have weighted average selected.

What am I missing? I could see having forty or fifty individual assessments for any one particular outcome, but I need to enter them individually during the course of the semester and having a running average throughout the semester. (All the assessments are equal in weight.) Do I need to create "linked" assignments through the Copy command for the Outcome? That didn't seem to work either.

I've tried looking in the complete manual, but I don't find any answers. Thanks for any assistance.

Gary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #10621 by Munay
Replied by Munay on topic Outcome summaries
Hello,

I am Munay from iDoceo Support, after reading your query I would like to help.

First, can you attach a screenshot of the actual issue (what you get), and another one of how you have configured the outcomes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: grhafer30

More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #30589 by grhafer30
Replied by grhafer30 on topic Outcome summaries
Thanks, but actually I really need to know how Standards work (I'm calling them Outcomes). For instance, I'm trying to see if I can attach standards to the assignments as one column, but still have the Standard factor as an individual score to the Outcome Summary column on another tab so I have a running averag. But it doesn't seem to work in that way. The only way I think I can get a summary of individual Standards is to nest columns within the Outcome Summary column. 

In the screenshots, the first one shows that I have to repeat the same column name, but one counting for the general Effort grade, and another counting for Achievement of a Standard (purple column). That's the only one I seem to get a summary of the Outcome/Standard (screenshot 2). If that's so, I don't see what "piggy backing" the outcomes or skills with an assignment can have in calculating an average unless it's nested with the Outcome/Standard.
Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by bert. Reason: Some data in photos. Saw the images.

More
1 year 6 months ago #30636 by grhafer30
Bert, let me try again.

I would like to write a formula in which, if the Contract for B is broken (a broken pencil in the first column), the Current Grade (red, third column) can never arise above 85.0% or B. I use a modified form of Contract grading for writing in which effort counts for some of the final grade but is limited. This is the limit.

Every time I try to write it and copy the examples, I come up with strange averages or wildly inflated ones. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I have tried making a separate column for results with a formula, but that does not seem to work either. Any help would be appreciated.

Gary
Attachments:

More
1 year 6 months ago #30637 by Munay
Hello Gary,

I have a solution for you, which I am attaching in a screenshot. I am also attaching one screenshot of the gradebook, so you can see it how it works.

As I do not know what formula you use in the Red column, I am using one of my own: Average (homework, exams); but the principle should stand.

Just introduce your formula whenever you see my formula: Average (Homework, Exams)

Also, I do not know what you want to do with the yellow flag, so I make it do the same as the green flag.

If you want to do something with it, just add an IF(COUNTICON, yellow flag, detail what you want)

Any doubt just let me know.

Attachments:

More
1 year 6 months ago #30638 by grhafer30
Thanks so much, Munay, but I have three follow-up questions.

First ,the FINAL GRADE column comes out with the decimal point in the wrong spot: for example, .98 instead of 98 and therefore an F instead of A. I know I can multiply by 100 to get the right percentage, but how do I include that in the syntax for all flags?

Second, Can I use STUDENTICON instead of specifying the CURRENT GRADE column?

Third, each of the categories is weighted: 10% effort, 10% writing assignments, and 80% portfolio. How would that be reflected in the formula?

I'm trying to follow along the best I can. Thanks for the help.

Gary     
Attachments:

More
1 year 6 months ago #30639 by Munay
Hello Gary,

Regarding the first question, there are two possible solutions, but the simplest one is multiplying by 100.

To do that put your average formula between parenthesis and multiply it by 100.
Like this:
(Average(Portfolio, Effort, Written))x 100

About the second point, I am not sure what you mean. I do not see you specifying your current grade column in the formula, so not sure how you want to replace it with STUDENTICON

But, if you mean to use, instead of COUNTICON from your Keeping Contract for B? column, the icons assigned to your students with STUDENTICON, then you can do that.

Just replace the COUNTICON with STUDENTICON, like in my second screenshot.

Lastly, you can add the weights of a folder in a formula, by multiplying that folder by the percentage. like this:

Portfolio x 0.8, Effort x 0.1, Written x 0.1

Taking in mind the need to multiply by 100 in the end, it would be like this:

(Portfolio x 0.8, Effort x 0.1, Written x 0.1) x 100

No need to use the average function in that case. Last screenshot

Attachments:

More
1 year 6 months ago #30640 by grhafer30
Thanks. Can you give me that last screenshot again so that I can study it? The last line of syntax is cut off from the image.

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #30642 by grhafer30

Munay,

Thanks, but one more time--I just wasn't able tonged it to work. The last line of the formula was cut off from your previous screenshot. Here's my formula, but it still has an error. 
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by grhafer30. Reason: Uploaded wrong screenshot

More
1 year 5 months ago #30643 by grhafer30

Attachments: